Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Forgiveness Concerning Enemies

Matt 5:43-44
Ye have heard that it hath been said Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

Before I get started on this post I want to let all that read this is one of the biggest area's I struggle in. This is an area that the Lord has been teaching me in. I work with people that our enemies of Christ so therefore they can't stand someone standing up for right. The Bible is very clear in this area. Our Savior is giving the Sermon on the Mount and he addresses this situation. As Christians we have to realize that we do have enemies it is not the person but it is the spirit in the person.

Why must we forgive our enemies?

I. Because Christ Commands Us.
The Lord tells us that we must love our neighbor, this is the law of God. Christ tells us in this passage what to do when we have enemies.
Love our enemies
The flesh wants to get back and pay back but we know this is not right. The bible tells us to turn the other cheek. If we our Spiritfilled we will love everyone. We may not love what they do but we can love them as a person.

Bless Them that Curse Us.
One of the things that gets on my nerves is when someone does curse at me. I have had happen twice in the last week. I handled myself right but I wanted to knock him upside the head. The sad thing is this person claims to know Jesus as his Savior. We are to bless them

Do good to them.
When they are evil to us,then we our to be good. How can we be good. By the way we treat them. We are nice to them we speak them there are a number of things. There is another verse used twice in the Scriptures. Rom 12:20
Therefore if thine enemy hunger feed him, if he thirst give him drink for in so doing thou shat heap coals of fire on is head.

Pray for Them.
This is the best way to deal with someone that is an enemy pray for them. However not only that pray that the Lord will give you the grace to deal with the situation.

II. Because We our to be Christlike.
The best way to see how much Christlike you are is your reaction to an enemy. I strive toward Christlikeness but I have a long ways to go. How can we be Christlike.

A. We forgive.
Christ forgave all them that took part at the cross. If Jesus can forgive them that nailed him to the cross we can forgive someone that does us wrong.

III. Because of Their Condemnation
Even though they misuse me or try to be the devil that person still has a soul and maybe if we forgive them they may end up getting saved. They will be judged one day on how they treat us, and may the grace God find them before they stand before the Judge. Sometimes people our turned off by the way a Christian reacts to them. But the Lord does say that vegeance is his. He will repay our enemies the pslams talks about may times how God subdued the psalmist enemies.
In Closing many people that don't work jobs probably don't have someone that is enemy but Biblically I believe this is how you deal with an enemy. May our prayer be that when someone does these things that we would do what Jesus did.

I pray that these thoughts on forgiveness were helpful. The Lord has taught me quite a bit the last week on this subject. I pray you continue to look back on this site who knows what the Lord will speak to my heart to put on here next. God Bless You!

No comments: